Wednesday, January 11, 2017

BEST OF 2016: Our Favorite Books for Middle-Grade Readers/Tweens

From a shipwrecked robot story to the true tale of a child survivor of the Nagasaki bomb, our 2016 selections are all about variety. There's the wonderful humor of The Best Man and the breathless intensity of The Plot to Kill Hitler. The heartwrenching beauty of Maybe a Fox, and the fun-filled adventure of Mighty Jack.

We hope every reader of middle-grade fiction or nonfiction will discover a book they love among our Best of 2016 list. We sure did!

The 2016 committee includes:
  • Allison, BCPL Outreach & Programming Supervisor
  • Cheryl, Assistant Branch Manager, Ridgway Memorial Library
  • Marianne, Reference Services, Ridgway Memorial Library
  • Tracy (that's me), BCPL Public Relations Coordinator & Committee Organizer

Fiction


As Brave as You by Jason Reynolds

Allison says:
Realistic characters, wonderfully developed. I am a fan of Reynolds, but I was worried since this is his first foray into middle-grade. He did a great job transitioning from YA; this was excellent.

Marianne says:
A nice story about city kids (brothers) and a slow-moving summer spent with Grandparents on a remote farm in Virginia. They learn about family, friendship, and consequences.
 
The Best Man by Richard Peck

Cheryl says:
Hilarious and fast-paced, this story is told convincingly from a boy’s point of view. I laughed and laughed. I especially love the relationships Archer has with the four men in his life!


 
Booked by Kwame Alexander

I say:
Anyone who loves words, books, or puns will be unable to resist Booked. It's a fun and engaging read, a whirlwind of short poems that fit together to form the story of Nick's eighth-grade experiences, from his parents' breakup to soccer victories and his first crush. And who doesn't love a story featuring a rapping librarian as a side character?

Marianne says:
I listened to the audiobook and was mesmerized by the style and rhythm of the poetry and enthralled with the story.


Garvey's Choice by Nikki Grimes

I say:
There were so many wonderful middle-grade novels in verse this past year, including Booked (a fellow 2016 Best Book) and Catching a Storyfish (which just missed the cut). What makes this one stand out for me is the stereotype-breaking hero. I also really enjoyed the tanka poetry style, along with Grimes's explanation at the end of the book.

Marianne says:
A short and sweet coming-of-age story told in verse.

Ghost by Jason Reynolds

I say:
Totally gripping from beginning to end. Reynolds covers so much in this relatively slim novel that clocks in at under 200 pages. The story feels both timeless and entirely modern. I am so excited that this is the beginning of a new series!
 
Ghosts by Raina Telgemeier

I say:
I really loved Raina Telgemeier's portrayal of sisterhood in Sisters, and Ghosts is just as good, with the added benefit of...well, ghosts.
 
The Inquisitor's Tale by Adam Gidwitz, illus. by Hatem Aly

Allison says:
I couldn't put it down. Went to bed intending to read a chapter or two. Ended up not going to sleep and finished it in one sitting. I didn't want it to end. I like the Canterbury Tales feel of different narrators, always making it fresh. The tension was nail-biting. Can we say medal-worthy?

The Land of Forgotten Girls by Erin Entrada Kelly

Allison says:
Powerful, inspiring, uplifting. I LOVED this one!

Marianne says:
I'm a big fat mom, so I had to overcome my horror at the two sisters who were abandoned and left in the care of an abusive "stepmother"...once I was able to set that aside, I really was fascinated at the imaginations of those two little girls.

Maybe a Fox by Kathi Appelt and Alison McGhee

Allison says:
I don't cry reading books. Or watching sappy movies, or commercials. I bawled like a baby reading this. Which was even more problematic since I was reading it in public. This was gut-wrenchingly wonderful for me. If it doesn't receive a Newbery, my faith in humanity is gone.

Mighty Jack by Ben Hatke

Allison says:

I really like this one, and the artwork is dramatically good. Is the next book in the series out yet??????

Ms. Bixby's Last Day by John David Anderson

Allison says:
MOVING is not the word. I don't generally like to read about someone's struggle with disease, but this one drew me in. Realistic fiction is not usually something middle-grade authors do well, but this is amazing!


Pax by Sara Pennypacker, illus. by John Klassen

I say:

Pennypacker writes with an insightful lyricism that is simply stunning. Also, I love that Pax perceives and acts like a real fox, not a standard children's book animal who thinks and acts more like a human.

Raymie Nightingale by Kate DiCamillo

I say:
Yet another standout middle-grade novel from two-time Newbery-winner Kate DiCamillo. The writing is crisp and energetic despite the quiet story. I adored Raymie and the quick, unexpected friendship she builds with her fellow baton-twirling students. There are so many small moments in this book to love.

The Wild Robot by Peter Brown

I say:
Oh my goodness, the illustrations in this book! The design of the book is simply beautiful, as is the story. A wonderful mix of reflection and action, with short, punchy chapters to keep readers in thrall.

Wolf Hollow by Lauren Wolk

Allison says:
I like the setting, the description of the town, and the way Annabelle's parents take to Toby. There's a bit of  a To Kill a Mockingbird feel to the story and characterizations.



Nonfiction

Echo Echo: Reverso Poems about Greek Myths by Marilyn Singer, illus. by Josée Masse

Allison says:

The illustrations are gorgeous, and I like the two narrator approach and the rhythmic flow of the poems, their arrangement in the collection. Some prior knowledge of Greek mythology might make it even more enjoyable, but the notes for those who aren't into mythology are helpful.

Jazz Day: The Making of a Famous Photograph by Roxanne Orgill, illus. by Frances Vallejo

I say:
The concept behind this book is so inventive! The illustrations are fantastic, and the (mostly) free-form poetry perfectly evokes the spirit of jazz music. Plus, the short bios and further reading suggestions in the back matter provide a path for those who wish to learn more.
Allison says:
I'm not usually a fan of poems, but this was neat. Each poem led to the next, adding up to tell the story of the gathering of the musicians from the photograph.

The Plot to Kill Hitler: Dietrich Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Spy, Unlikely Hero
by Patricia McCormick


Allison says:
HOLY cow!! I loved this. Faced-paced nonfiction/biography that reads like awesome fiction? Who knew it was not only possible, but that the reader would forget it was nonfiction? This book definitely left me thinking and wondering,

A Poem for Peter by Andrea Davis Pinkney, illus. by Lou Fancher & Steve Johnson

I say:
Wonderful. Of all the spectacular poetic works I've read this year, this is the one that most stands out for me. It's such a loving, fascinating tribute to Ezra Jack Keats and the impact of his work.

Sachiko: A Nagasaki Bomb Survivor's Story by Caren Stelson

I say:
This is such a powerful book that puts a face on an under-examined moment in US-Japanese history and the longlasting consequences for Japanese survivors in Nagasaki and Hiroshima. The story is very readable, and the book is laid out perfectly to provide age-appropriate context with informative sidebars, photographs, etc. Important, harrowing, and beautifully done.

*Available on Hoopla*

Some Writer!: The Story of E.B. White by Melissa Sweet

Allison says:
FANTABULOUS!! The story flows from page to page, with bold artwork and personal commentary from White. This feels like you are sitting in someone's living room looking at their—amazing!— personal scrapbook.

The Way Things Work Now by David Macauley

I say:
I was so glad to see the late-90s classic guide updated to include the digital age! Curious kids who like building and technology or simply want to understand the way things work will love Macauley's way of illustrating complex concepts. Engaging text and illustrations make it a joy to browse, or you can focus on whatever category interests you, from simple machines to digital devices and Wi-Fi,

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...